The District of Columbia Board of Industrial Trades was established to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of the District by ensuring that individuals engaged in these trades have the specialized skills and training required to perform such services for the public.
The Board license law, which governs asbestos workers, plumbers, electricians, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics, steam and operating engineers, and those in the elevator trades (with the exception of District of Columbia and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority employees). The Board may establish bonding and insurance requirements, subcategories of licensure, education, and experience requirements for licensure, and other requirements.
The Board is comprised of 15 tradespersons, who are appointed by the Mayor and licensed in the District: three plumbers; two electricians; two refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics; two steam engineers; two asbestos workers; one elevator mechanic; one elevator inspector; one elevator contractor; and one consumer member. Eight members of the Board constitute a quorum.
The Board meets on the third Tuesday each month at 1:00 p.m. at the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs located at 1100 4th Street, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024. The Board can be reached by phone: (202) 442-4333 or (202) 442-4320, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Board meeting minutes are available at www.open-dc.gov.
Current Board Members
- Alvin Venson, Sr. – Chair, Master Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Keith Jones – Co-Chair, Class 1, Steam Engineer
- Khidhar Abdulshakur – Asbestos Worker
- Michael Dalton – Consumer Member
- Brian Cooper – Elevator Contractor
- Petrick Washington – Elevator Mechanic
- Constantin Rodousakis – Master Electrician
- Robert Smith – Master Electrician
- Raleigh Heyward – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Terrence Hughes – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Richard Jackson – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Garth Grannum – Master Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Alex Lemu – Class 1, Steam Engineer
- Vacant – Asbestos Worker
- Vacant – Elevator Inspector
To apply for a vacancy, please visit the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments for more information and an application.
2018 Meeting Dates:
Please contact the Board to confirm meeting dates/times/locations.
|January 16||February 20||March 20|
|April 17||May 15||June 19|
|July 17||August – Recess||September 18|
|October 16||November 20||December 18|
Cynthia Briggs – Executive Director
Jennifer C. Champagne – Board Administrator
Kevin Cyrus – Education Coordinator