The District of Columbia Board of Industrial Trades was established to protect the public health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of the District by ensuring that individuals engaged in these trades have the specialized skills and training required to perform such services for the public.
The Board license law, which governs asbestos workers, plumbers, electricians, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics, steam and operating engineers, and those in the elevator trades (with the exception of District of Columbia and Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority employees). The Board may establish bonding and insurance requirements, subcategories of licensure, education, and experience requirements for licensure, and other requirements.
The Board is comprised of 15 tradespersons, who are appointed by the Mayor and licensed in the District: three plumbers; two electricians; two refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics; two steam engineers; two asbestos workers; one elevator mechanic; one elevator inspector; one elevator contractor; and one consumer member. Eight members of the Board constitute a quorum.
The Board meets on the third Tuesday each month at 1:00 p.m. at the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs located at 1100 4th Street, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024.
Board meeting minutes are available at www.open-dc.gov.
Current Board Members
- Alvin Venson, Sr. – Chair, Master Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Khidhar Abdulshakur – Asbestos Worker
- Michael Dalton – Consumer Member
- Brian Cooper – Elevator Contractor
- Petrick Washington – Elevator Mechanic
- Constantin Rodousakis – Master Electrician
- Robert Smith – Master Electrician
- Terrence Hughes – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Richard Jackson – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Michael Johnson – Master Plumber/Gasfitter
- Garth Grannum – Master Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Alex Lemu – Class 1, Steam Engineer
- Vacant – Asbestos Worker
- Vacant – Class 1, Steam Engineer
- Vacant – Elevator Inspector
To apply for a vacancy, please visit the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments for more information and an application.
2019 Meeting Dates:
Please contact the Board to confirm meeting dates/times/locations.
|January 22||February 19||March 19|
|April 16||May 21||June 18|
|July 16||August – Recess||September 17|
|October 15||November 19||December 17|
Cynthia Briggs – Executive Director
Jennifer C. Champagne – Board Administrator
Kevin Cyrus – Education Coordinator